Friday, February 28, 2014

Ski at your own risk.

Yep. It's risky. It's dangerous. But it is oh oh oh oh so much fun! Not to long ago our church youth took a day long skiing trip.
I am not kidding, it was seriously. the. most. fun. thing. ever.
Okay, maybe not ever, but if there was a list of the top 10 most fun things to do with your best friends, skiing would be in the top 3. I really don't even know if I can describe how AMAZINGLY  enjoyable our time was. The fresh pure air flowing through your hair, making you feel like an Olympian, the shining sun, the clear blue sky, the biting air, giggling with your friends as you ride into the clouds on the lift and the scratchy sound of the snow as your skis plowed through it.....yep. it's just one of those things that you probably won't forget. But...as always, because it is a very accident prone sport, almost everybody walks away with an embarrassing and hopefully not too painful moment or two.
Tip #1: If you ever go skiing NEVER EVER EVER fall on purpose with out very very very clearly knowing how to stand up. My hypothesis is that it's a ski instructor practical joke to put you and  all your friends in  a nice little circle then watch you flop on the ground like fish out of water while you try hopelessly to get up with 5 foot skis strapped to your feet completely inhibiting your ability to ever think about standing again.
Tip #2: If you want to avoid flopping on your stomach like a fish, don't listen to the advice that getting on your stomach and walking your legs up is easier that sitting on your rear and taking off your skis, standing and putting them back on.
Unfortunately, I did not have these two insightful tips, and I blindly did the opposite. I very nicely fell over and then....tried to stand. I flopped onto my stomach like a fish or walrus or manatee or some other ungraceful arctic creature and tried to get on my feet. Let me just tell you,
 It did not work.
I would get on my knees and simply fall back on my face.I will spare all the details, but let's just say it took a loooong time to just get my right leg up and able to stand on.
 Success!
Or not.
My other leg and my complete sense of direction decided to fail me. After my right leg was up (sort of) I went about trying to turn the other leg so I wouldn't floor myself by tripping my right leg with the left ski. (It sounds confusing....it was)
I did it!
Sort of.
I was up on two legs. I looked down wondering why I couldn't move.
Why was the tip of my right ski in front but the tip of my left ski behind me?
(Let me assure you that at this time, I am the only one still trying to get off the ground)
My leg seemed to be backwards.
I had completely twisted my left leg in the wrong direction. It really did look like my leg was put on the wrong way.
"That does NOT look normal," a friend pointed out.
By now I am utterly confused and every one else is in hysterics. (I had a pretty bad case of the giggles myself)
Tip #3: When you cannot get off the ground, rely on other people to help you up. (hopefully they will)
So, I dropped to the ground again and got some help.
And I am happy to say that pretty soon I was back up on my own two forward-facing feet.
True Success!
And thankfully the rest of the day went much better. I got to hang with some super awesome people and AH! God is so good to give us the cold. Even though I know I complain it more than I should, I would miss winter and snow something terrible if we didn't have it! So...if you're not going skiing in the near future, go enjoy the cold anyway!
(here's a few hints: ice skating, snowball fights, snow forts, sledding or perhaps...
do you want to build a snowman?)
~Bugg


No comments:

Post a Comment